Thursday, September 2, 2010

Because Cooking Is Good For The Soul..

So I've never posted a recipe before. Mainly beacuse this wasn't meant to be a foodie site, but focused on wine knowledge and the occasional ranting. However, I uploaded a photo of my dinner last night, only because it looked so tasty, and I received several comments requesting a recipe.
So here it goes...

Greek Lemon Chicken with Patates

1 package of chicken thighs
1 package of chicken breasts or drumsticks (whichever you prefer, although I have to say anything with skin and bone is going to be MUCH more flavorful )
6 cloves of crushed garlic
2 tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup of olive oil
Juice of 3 lemons
Zest of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of oregano
Baby red potatoes quartered with skin on ( I count on 2 per person)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper.
Heat oil in a skillet and brown chicken on all sides.
Once browned, place chicken in a glass baking dish.

In a medium bowl mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, zest, garlic, and oregano. Mix well and pour over chicken. Top with butter and cinnamon.

For the potatoes:
I quarter them, place them on a baking sheet, drizzle them with olive oil, salt and pepper, and broil them on high while I'm browning the chicken. Once the chicken goes into the baking dish, I pull out the taters and throw them into the dish with the chicken.

Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the chicken feels done. Make sure to baste with pan juices during the cooking time.

I served this with the De Tierra "Tin Man" Chardonnay from Monterey. An unoaked Chard that rekindled my love affair with this poor little bastardized grape. It reminded me of what Chardonnay is supposed to taste like once you strip away all the winemaker manipulation. Gone are the flavors of butterscotch, toffee'd popcorn, hot butter, and toasted hazelnuts. This may sound good in theory, but really people,  do you want your wine tasting like a county fair midway? Hitting your palate like a gallon of maple syrup? I know how wildly popular this style is, and far be it for me to tell someone not to drink what they like, but I just don't dig it. What I crave is crisp and fresh with aromas of Granny Smith apple, Anjou pears, a little flinty minerality... oh yeahh. This winery was just named "Winery of the Year" by the San Fransisco Cronical and Wine Enthusiast Magazine. The winemaker, David Coventry, has an unyielding passion, and a huge commitment to organic farming. He makes a piddly amount of wine, and is obviously not in it for the money or notoriety. Here is a winery without ego or pretense. In case you couldn't tell, I really like these guys.

There you go. Grab a bottle of De Tierra goodness, whip up some Greek Chicken, and tap into your inner Julia.

Here's to your health

No comments:

Post a Comment